About Blog

It has returned for round 2. These are my views on the recent sporting results and news. Posting everyday when possible.



Friday 11 January 2013

Russell V Lawro - The Return



With the return of the blog I will reincarnate my favourite part of doing the blog last time. This will be the first of many Friday afternoon posts where once again I will be going one on one against the BBC legend Mark Lawrenson. As most of you know Lawro does predictions for every Barclay's Premier League each weekend, for his thoughts click here.  So I thought why not put my ideas into the fishing pot and see if I am can best the pro.

QPR v Tottenham (12:45 GMT)

QPR scraped an undeserved draw against West Brom last weekend and despite their win against Chelsea are still bottom.  Tottenham have pick up 13 points from the last 5 games and have Bale and Defore on form, I don't see them making the same mistake Cheslea did.
Lawro's Prediction: 1-1    My Prediction: 0-3

Aston Villa v Southampton (15:00 GMT)

After just avoiding an upset in the FA Cup Villa were humiliated midweek against Bradford. Southampton were taken apart by Chelsea but no where near as bad as Villa were.  Neither of these teams have won in the last 4 games and Southampton have drawn their last three.  I think more of the same.
 Lawro's Prediction: 2-1    My Prediction: 1-1

Everton v Swansea (15:00 GMT)
Everton easily passed through to the next round of the FA Cup with an easy win in Monday night.  Swansea had a fantastic game in the first leg of the League Cup semi finals but may be tried coming into this match.  Everton are back in form so I see them just getting a win here.


Lawro's Prediction: 2-0    My Prediction: 2-1

Fulham v Wigan (15:00 GMT)

Both of these teams have FA Cup replays to think of midweek but with Wigan having dropped into the relegation zone they will be going strongly for a win.  Fulham might be looking more at midweek but their home form is what has kept them in the top division.
Lawro's Prediction: 1-1   My Prediction: 2-1

Norwich v Newcastle (15:00 GMT)

In the FA Cup Norwich brushed aside a poor Peterborough team whilst Newcastle's reserves were soundly beaten by Brighton.  Both of these team badly need a win as they both have lost their last three league games.  Newcastle might find Norwich a hard place to go in the post-Ba era.
Lawro's Prediction: 1-1   My Prediction: 2-0

Reading v West Brom (15:00 GMT)

I know Reading beat West Ham over Christmas, and won at Crawley in the FA Cup, but wins have generally been in short supply for Brian McDermott's side.  West Brom haven't played their best football in the last few games and this will be a test, that I think they will overcome.
Lawro's Prediction: 2-1   My Prediction: 1-2

Stoke v Chelsea (15:00 GMT)

Stoke have conceded three goals in the last games but kept a clean sheet in the FA Cup and I can the Premierships best defense doing well if Torres is played ahead of, which what I believe Benitez with do.  And after Chelsea handed Swansea goals midweek I think it won't be a happy weekend either.
Lawro's Prediction: 1-2   My Prediction: 1-0

Sunderland v West Ham (15:00 GMT)

Like Fulham and Wigan both of these teams will have half a mind on the midweek replays.  Both teams here are looking for mid table security so will really want this win as well but I can see these two cancelling each other out, it may even be a bore draw.

Lawro's Prediction: 2-1   My Prediction: 0-0

Man Utd v Liverpool (13:30 GMT)

This is the start of and actual "Super-Sunday", United's draw against West Ham will of felt like a win and Liverpool ended last weekend as the "Pantomime Villains".  Both of these teams would like nothing than to thrash the other but that rarely happens.

Lawro's Prediction: 2-1   My Prediction: 3-2

Arsenal v Man City (16:00 GMT)

 
 This match could go either way with both teams being inform, City will miss the presence of Yaya Toure and it will be interesting to see how they will line up without him.  Arsenal have still been shipping goals this season and won't be able to get away with that against City.

Lawro's Prediction: 1-1   My Prediction: 1-2


1 comment:

  1. Not doing the Chelsea/Soton game as well? All in the same gameweek! Give me a min, I'll bash out my predictions and see how we fare...

    ReplyDelete